Is there a way to prevent duplicate entry in editor with 2 fields ?

Is there a way to prevent duplicate entry in editor with 2 fields ?

Mairie du PecqMairie du Pecq Posts: 9Questions: 3Answers: 0

Hi,

I am seeking if it's possible to add control when a user add duplicate values.

I use Datatables and Editor and when i add a new entrie with the firstname, lastname and other stuffs, i would like to check if the firstname and lastname already exist before insert or update the database.

I thinck i need to use "postCreate" and "postEdit" but could you please confirm it to me.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,723Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin
    Answer ✓

A validator would be the way to do this. If you were checking with just a single column you could use the pre-build unique validator, but since you have two fields, you'd need to query the database manually to check if there is already matching data.

A few notes about this:

1. Use a global validator and perform this check only on the create action
    2. What if you have two "John Smith"s in the database? Perhaps it needs a check on another field as well?
    3. If first name and last name must be unique, put a unique restriction on those columns in the database. Then worst case is they get an SQL error even if you don't add a custom validator.
    4. Editor doesn't have the option to convert a create action into an edit. You'd need to have the validator return an error and the user would then have to edit their entry, cancelling the create action.

Allan