Sorting isn’t working as expected when using conditional columnDef and inputs

Sorting isn’t working as expected when using conditional columnDef and inputs

thegamechangerprothegamechangerpro Posts: 81Questions: 30Answers: 1

I am using the following code to lock off a cell in a column once a condition is met (condition = 1) otherwise it should be an input:

{targets: [7, 8], "render": function (data, type, row, meta) {if (row.condition == '1'){ return data} else {return '<input type="text" size="12" value ="' + data + '">' }}},

It works just how I want it to.

The issue is when i sort by this/these columns the rows that meet the condition sorts as if the data is null followed by the correctly sorted rows where the condition is not met (the input fields).

I have been using this to help sort the data in the inputs which is where I believe the issue lies:

$.fn.dataTable.ext.order['dom-text'] = function ( settings, col )
{
return this.api().column( col, {order:'index'} ).nodes().map( function ( td, i ) {
return $('input', td).val();
} );
};

How do I updated this get the rows to sort the inputs and data together correctly?

Thanks,

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 62,858Questions: 1Answers: 10,344 Site admin

DataTables caches the search and sort values for performance reasons. That's why it isn't reading the value from the input - unless you use something like the live DOM sorting plug-in.

I don't not that there is a way to mix static data and live DOM elements in a single column. I've not encountered that specific case before. I'll need to have a bit of a think about this!

Allan

• thegamechangerprothegamechangerpro Posts: 81Questions: 30Answers: 1

Thanks for taking an interest!
    I don’t have to do it this way if you know of a better way to lock off inputs after the condition is met.

I suppose I can do an on change trigger that reverts the input back to its original state if the condition is met, but I would need a little advice on how best to do that. That way nothing is truly static.

• allanallan Posts: 62,858Questions: 1Answers: 10,344 Site admin

One workaround that springs to mind is to use input elements for all returns, but either make some read only / disabled, or add a class to make them appear as just plain text.

Allan

• thegamechangerprothegamechangerpro Posts: 81Questions: 30Answers: 1

Hi Allan,

Great suggestion, though I am having a tough time setting an input as readonly - this is in datatables not editor.

{targets: [7, 8], "render": function (data, type, row, meta) {if (row.condition == '1'){ return data} else {return '<input type="text" size="12" value ="' + data + '">' }}},

any tips?

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,993Questions: 26Answers: 4,887

Add the readonly or disabled attribute to the input string. Checkout this tutorial.

Kevin