dataTables.fixedHeader.min.js vs fixedHeader.dataTables.min.js

dataTables.fixedHeader.min.js vs fixedHeader.dataTables.min.js

JanNL_FRJanNL_FR Posts: 47Questions: 15Answers: 2

Hi,

When should which file be used?

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,083Questions: 26Answers: 4,908
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓

If you are using script tags to load the libraries then you will want to use dataTables.fixedHeader.min.js. You can validate which to use with the download builder. Uncheck the concatenate option to see the individual files to be loaded. You can also look at the examples of the particular extension you are interested in. Make sure to click the CSS tab to see the .css files to include.

I believe fixedHeader.dataTables.min.js is used to support installations using package managers like NPM.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 62,990Questions: 1Answers: 10,367 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Exactly what Kevin says (as always)! fixedHeader.dataTables.min.js is just a "holding" package for loaders. The fixedHeader.{styleName}.js files are used for adding styling defaults to the library, but since the default is DataTables, that file is virtually redundant.

A while back I wrote down the rules I used for DataTables file naming. That still holds.

Allan

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,083Questions: 26Answers: 4,908
    Answer ✓

That doc is a bit before my time. It explains a lot about what I thought was a crazy naming scheme :smile: I wonder if it would be good to add that info to the installation doc. I know the styling docs explain it but the blog doc makes more sense to me.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 62,990Questions: 1Answers: 10,367 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Good idea - it might make a good "tech note" and then link into that.

Nothing quite like a nice set of formalised rules to follow :)

Allan

• JanNL_FRJanNL_FR Posts: 47Questions: 15Answers: 2

Thanks, all clear.
    I now have a set with all possible necessary files in js, css, and images folders.
    So I can change when I'm testing.