Extension:SearchPanes Cascade Panes vs Search box (OOB)

Extension:SearchPanes Cascade Panes vs Search box (OOB)

chopper12chopper12 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

We are using the Cascade Panes feature of the SearchPanes extension. I noticed that when you use the OOB Search box it resets all the cascaded search panes. You can duplicate this using the base example, link below. First filter by Position and then by Office. If you now type within the Search box the search panes reset.

Can this behavior be changed so that the Search box only adds to the filters as opposed to resetting them? In the example above I would have expected the search box to further filter what was already filtered.

https://datatables.net/extensions/searchpanes/examples/initialisation/cascadePanes.html

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 62,990Questions: 1Answers: 10,367 Site admin

I'm not quite getting it I'm afraid. These are the steps I've tried:

1. Load the example
    2. Click "Accountant" in the Position pane
    3. Click "Tokyo" in the Office pane
    4. The table has 2 records shown and each of the first two panes have a single record.

No matter which search box I type into next (the global one for the DataTable, or those for the search panes) I don't see the panes resetting. They stay as they are.

I guess I've missed a step, but I'm not sure what?

Thanks,
    Allan

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,082Questions: 26Answers: 4,908

I think I see the issue. Try your steps in the basic example. Then type ti. There are no changes to the searchPanes selections and no rows are displayed in the table.

Do the same steps with the Cascade example. After typing ti the two rows change and only Tokyo is selected. Continue the search by typing g then Tiger Nixon is shown and the panes have no selections. Backspace clearing tig and the two selections originally made are not selected.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 62,990Questions: 1Answers: 10,367 Site admin

Oh!! Thanks Kevin. Yes I see it now and I do know what is causing this (its due to how SP is getting the data, filtered, from the DataTable), but unfortunately it isn't an easy or fast fix. It needs a fairly fundamental change to how cascading works and its separation from DataTables own filtering.

I'm afraid a fix for this will need to wait for the rewrite of SearchPanes that I plan later on this year. Sorry.

Allan

• chopper12chopper12 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thank you for the consideration, I really appreciate it! Just good to know I'm not crazy. Look forward to future releases, this is a GREAT extension!!