Add link to cell but use a hidden field value to pass to function

Add link to cell but use a hidden field value to pass to function

canwejustcodecanwejustcode Posts: 31Questions: 8Answers: 0

In my datatable, I need to create a link using <a href /> but pass a value of another cell for that row to a function to get executed to load a list box. I'm able to add the link using the <a hre=/> however, is there a way to get the value of the other cell for that row the user clicked the link in?

table = $('#output').DataTable({
     columns : [ 
              {
                  data : "id",
                  defaultContent: '',
                  render : function (data) { 
                             return  data
                       }
               },
               { 
                  data : "make",
                  render : function (data, type, value) {
                            "<a href="#" id="carMake" onClick="Process()"> + data + '</a>'
                   }
               }
       ]
})

I want to use the ID field to pass into the Process() function when they click on the { make } link.

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,361Questions: 26Answers: 4,777

See the columns.render docs. The docs show the third parameter, called row, contains the data for the full row. Also see this example. Something like this should work:

render : function (data, type, value) {
                                return '<a href="#" id="carMake" onClick="Process(' + row.id + ')">' + data + '</a>'
                       }

Note that I added return and changed some of the double quotes to single quotes to allow for imbedded double quotes in the string.

Kevin

• canwejustcodecanwejustcode Posts: 31Questions: 8Answers: 0

I looked at that and get { undefined } on the field I want to use for the link to pass to the JQuery function

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,361Questions: 26Answers: 4,777

I just noticed you have value as the name of the third columns.render parameter. Either change it to row to match the docs or change the row.id to value.id.

Kevin

edited March 1

I can combine the cells fine, it's when I wrap the <a href=" /> around it, it fails.

I took this line from the example

render: (data, type, row) => data + ' (' + row[3] + ')'

and tried it like this:

render : (data, type, row) => '<a href="#" onClick="ProcessIt(' + row.id + ')> + data + '<,/a>';

and I get the { undefined } message, however, I can combine both values in one cell just fine.

I get

{ uncaught reference error : 990 is not defined }

and 990 is the ID being passed

I got it working, I added an ID field so show the ID from the table, and now it works. Not sure why that would work, but I got it working