Disable sorting for first row of columns in thead.

Disable sorting for first row of columns in thead.

NRS84NRS84 Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hello!

I have a table that has multiple rows in the thead, like this:

<table>
    <thead>
        <tr class="areas">
            <th colspan="1">Remove</th>
            <th colspan="6">Student Info</th>
            <th colspan="4">Theory</th>
            <th colspan="2">Behind The Wheel</th>
            <th colspan="1">Send</th>
        </tr>
        <tr class="items">
            <th></th>
            (13 more th cells)
        </tr>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
        <tr>
            <td></td>
            (13 more td cells)
        </tr>
    </tbody>
</table>

Here is a screenshot to give you a better idea (and don't worry, it's all fake data):

Is there a way to disabled sorting on that first "areas" row? When I click one of them it sorts, but by the index of the column clicked. Clicking "student info" sorts "remove from list", "theory" sorts "student name", "behind the wheel" sorts "date of birth", etc...

I'd create an example, but this table is incredibly complex in multiple ways, so was hoping I could get by without having a working example.

I know I can go in and remove those ordering classes/attributes manually with my own jquery after the table has initialized, but was just wondering if there was a setting I could turn off without having to go in and manually remove those classes/attributes from each tr.areas > th tag.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,322Questions: 26Answers: 4,774

You can use columns.orderable to disable the user's ability to sort specific columns. Is this what you are looking for?

Kevin

• NRS84NRS84 Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hey Kevin!

Is there a way to target only the first row in the thead with columns.orderable?

I have tried messing around with columnDefs and turning orderable on and off for specific targets, but I couldn't target only the first row, unless I am missing something.

Try the orderCellsTop option. It should still work for now in DT 2.0 although there is this note:

Deprecated
    As of v2.0.0 this feature has been deprecated. This feature has not yet been scheduled for removal, but its use is discouraged and the alternatives discussed below should be used.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

See this example for discussion on the attributes that can be used to control the click behaviour of the table header cells.

Allan

@allan can the orderCellsTop docs have a link to this example in the Deprecated text?

Kevin

• NRS84NRS84 Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Thank you @kthorngren and @allan!

Adding data-dt-order="disable" to my first thead row cells worked perfectly and is exactly what I needed, and was super simple and easy. Didn't have to do anything extra, and that is totally awesome!

Thank you both so much for your help!

Nic

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

Good plan Kevin. I've committed that change and it will be on the site soon.

Allan