Responsive not working with Column Render.

Responsive not working with Column Render.

washuit-iammwashuit-iamm Posts: 133Questions: 55Answers: 2
edited May 21 in DataTables 2

https://live.datatables.net/hehoditi/5/edit

The docs say:

Default Value: display

Applying the orthogonal option from the docs fixes it https://live.datatables.net/hehoditi/7/edit, but it does not explain why it does not simply use the display value as the docs say. Why would responsive.orthogonal magically cause nodes to be supported?

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,235Questions: 1Answers: 2,597

That just needs a defaultContent - see updated example here. This is needed if there's static data being rendered for that column.

Colin

• washuit-iammwashuit-iamm Posts: 133Questions: 55Answers: 2

@colin

That still does not work. Am I missing something?

Also the link to defaultContent 404s.

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,074Questions: 26Answers: 4,905

I can't speak to why Responsive renders the displayed data different from what is displayed in the table. However using $("<span>Hello World</span>").get(0 does return an object. Possibly you can just return the HTML string, ie, return "<span>Hello World</span>";. It will be displayed in the table and in Responsive correctly.

Plus just returning a string is more efficient as jQuery functions won't be called twice;, $(("<span>Hello World</span>") and .get(0), for each cell. Each cell may be rendered multiple times for searching, sorting, etc on initialization and during certain operations. See this updated example:
    https://live.datatables.net/hehoditi/10/edit

Also the link to defaultContent 404s.

es, it should be columns.defaultContent.

Kevin

@kthorngren @colin I will try that. In reality my render function is quite a bit more complex so I chose that as a sample. Would you recommend converting this whole thing to a string?

"render": function (data, type, row, meta) {

if (type !== "display") {
            return data
                .map(x => x.Name).join(", ");
        }

if (!data.length) {
            return "";
        }

var contacts$ = data
            .map(function (contact) {

var contactContainer$ = $("<span>");

var contactTitle = ((contact.Description === null || contact.Description === "") ? "" : `${contact.Description}<br />`) +
                    ((contact.SecondaryEmailAddress === null || contact.SecondaryEmailAddress === "") ? "" : `<span class='bi bi-envelope-fill'></span>: ${contact.SecondaryEmailAddress}<br />`) +
                    ((contact.HomePhoneNumber === null || contact.HomePhoneNumber === "") ? "" : `<span class='bi bi-telephone-fill'></span>: ${contact.HomePhoneNumber}<br />`) +
                    ((contact.OfficePhoneNumber === null || contact.OfficePhoneNumber === "") ? "" : `<span class='bi bi-telephone-fill'></span>: ${contact.OfficePhoneNumber}<br />`);

var cellNullOrdEmpty = (contact.CellPhoneNumber === null || contact.CellPhoneNumber === "");

var link = dataTableUtils.buildURLToResourceCreated("Contacts", "Id", contact.Id)
                var contact$ = $("<div class='card px-1 m-1' style='max-width: 18rem;'>")
                    .attr("title", contactTitle)
                    .append($(`<a target="_blank" href="${link}"><strong>${contact.Name}</strong></a>`))
                    .append($("<small>").html(`<span class='bi bi-envelope-fill'></span> ${contact.EmailAddress}`))
                    .append($("<small>").html(`<span class='bi bi-telephone-fill'></span> ${cellNullOrdEmpty == true ? "<span class='text-warning'>No cell on file.</span>" : contact.CellPhoneNumber}`))

.tooltip({
                        html: true
                    });

contactContainer$.append(contact$);

return contactContainer$;
            });

var newTdContent = $("<div>");
        contacts$.forEach(function (server) {
            newTdContent.append(server);
        });

return newTdContent.get(0);
    }

I still don't understand how this fixes it? No other changes, how is this not a bug?

responsive: {
            orthogonal: 'responsive'
        },

https://live.datatables.net/hehoditi/7/edit

• colincolin Posts: 15,235Questions: 1Answers: 2,597

Sorry, yep, I entirely misread your comment - I missed the comment about Responsive and thought you were referring to the main table.

This thread here discusses the issue you're seeing. Here's your example update - the magic is this line, which ensures the nodes are kept in sync,

responsive: {
            details: {
              renderer: $.fn.dataTable.Responsive.renderer.listHiddenNodes()
            }
         },

Colin

@colin Thank you, I will test here shortly. Just curious about the internals though:

Allan: it recreates the data to display using the render callback (and without passing it through createdCell).

If my render call back returns a node why wouldn't it just work out of the box without listHiddenNodes()? Is createdCell responsible for converting a node to an element in the cell and because it does not pass through it never gets attached or whatever?