V3 DOM Removal

V3 DOM Removal

ccarl973ccarl973 Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hello,
If we have an older project that is referencing V1 still or maybe V2, when V3 rolls out and DOM is removed, will this mean that all V1 or V2 files are removed from the cdn rendering our project effectively broken? Thanks!

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,237Questions: 1Answers: 2,599
    edited June 8

If you're using named releases from the CDN, such as

<script src="https://cdn.datatables.net/v/dt/dt-2.0.8/sl-2.0.3/datatables.min.js"></script>

then those earlier releases will always be available in the CDN, so your project will continue to work with the releases you specified.

If you're using the nightly releases, then you would just get the most recent build. That approach wouldn't be recommended for a production server,

Colin

• allanallan Posts: 63,262Questions: 1Answers: 10,423 Site admin

Yes, the CDN files will never change. Once they are on the CDN, that's it - mistakes bugs and all. So as Colin says, if you continue to load v1 or v2 of DataTables your files will work just fine.

The intention is to remove the dom parameter from v3, so anything using it would need to be updated to use the new layout option if you update to v3. The reason for the removal is to keep the code size under control. As a JavaScript library we want it to be as small as realistically possible and having two ways of doing the same thing is redundant.

That said I know that dom is widely used and I won't remove it lightly. I've no idea when v3 will happen - it won't be anytime soon - v2 was only realised earlier this year.

Allan