JSON encoding error: Malformed UTF-8 characters, possibly incorrectly encoded

rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,901Questions: 87Answers: 414
edited August 6 in DataTables 1.10

This is the error I am getting.

I am using this version of Data Tables:
https://cdn.datatables.net/1.11.5/js/jquery.dataTables.min.js

I use Editor with PHP, version is 2.0.7

The browser's console shows the following error:

The problem occurs when PHP Editor tries to json_encode the data object. Editor crashes and I get the first error message above.

I checked on SO how to fix this and found this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46305169/php-json-encode-malformed-utf-8-characters-possibly-incorrectly-encoded

Hence I added this on "postGet" and tried both versions (looping through $data myself or let PHP do it):

->on( 'postGet', function ( $e, &$data, $id ) { 
//        foreach ($data AS $key => $val) {
//            $data[$key] = mb_convert_encoding( $val, "UTF-8", "UTF-8" );
//        }
    $data = mb_convert_encoding( $data, "UTF-8", "UTF-8" );
})
->process($_POST);    
$editor->json();

In my debugger the $data object looked 100% fine and the mb_convert_encoding did not produce any errors in either version.

$editor->json();

caused the crash.

How can I locate the problem? The console message doesn't allow me to locate anything: It is a location in a min-file. I wanted to the use the regular js file
https://cdn.datatables.net/1.11.5/js/jquery.dataTables.js
Surprisingly that produced errors in other parts of my code when executing. Strange.

This is all I get in the network tab as a server response. Pretty much useless unfortunately.

I also tried to repair the database table. But there was nothing wrong with it.

I am stuck now and this is very, very urgent for me to fix: I cannot onboard new clients before this is fixed! I would be very grateful if you could help me with this.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,901Questions: 87Answers: 414

By the way the exact same PHP Editor works perfectly fine when used in a different page. Hence I tend to believe that the error message is not meaningful. But of course I don't know...

Just checked this in my debugger:

//        foreach ($data AS $key => $val) {
    //            $data[$key] = mb_convert_encoding( $val, "UTF-8", "UTF-8" );
    //        }
        $test = json_encode($data);
        $data = mb_convert_encoding( $data, "UTF-8", "UTF-8" );
    })

json_encode($data) produces a valid result on both pages.

But:

$test = $editor->json(false, JSON_INVALID_UTF8_SUBSTITUTE);

produces a valid result only in one case!! In the other case the result is "false"!
    I have absolutely no clue what causes this, but it is the cause of the problem.

@allan : I guess you will be the only one who can help me with this ... Thanks.

edited August 7
        if ( ! isset($_SESSION['govCredUserId']) ) { //it is the admin page
            $_SESSION["ctr_inst_json"] = '{"data":' . json_encode($data) . '}';
        }
    })
    ->process($_POST);
    if ( isset($_SESSION['govCredUserId']) ) { //not the admin page
        $editor->json();
    } else {
        echo $_SESSION["ctr_inst_json"];
        unset($_SESSION["ctr_inst_json"]);
    }

This is my work around for the time being. It produces valid json that works on both of my pages. So something odd must happen in Editor between "postGet" and "->json()". The work around only works for reading, not for editing ... Then you get a crash because Editor doesn't seem to execute "postGet".

Hopefully someone can find out what it is.

I found the problem: Unlike in the user table I only used the first initial of the firstname for rendering the options like this in the installation table:

Mjoin::inst( 'user' )
        ->link( 'ctr_installation.id', 'ctr_installation_has_principal.ctr_installation_id' )
        ->link( 'user.id', 'ctr_installation_has_principal.user_id' )
        ->order( 'user.lastname asc' )
        ->fields(
            Field::inst( 'id' )->set( false )                
                ->options( Options::inst()
                    ->table('user')
                    ->value('id')
                    ->label( array('acad', 'lastname', 'firstname', 'email') )
                    ->render( function ( $row ) {   
                        if ( $row['lastname'] <= '' ) {
                            return 'Incognito';
                        }
                        if ($row['acad'] > '') {
                            return $row['lastname'] . ', ' . $row['acad'] . ' '. mb_substr($row['firstname'],0,1) . '. (' . $row['email'] . ')';  
                        } else {
                            return $row['lastname'] . ', ' . ' '. mb_substr($row['firstname'],0,1) . '. (' . $row['email'] . ')';
                        }
                    } )

Right now I am using "mb_substr". That returns a proper "ö" if you use the substring with a length of 1. With "substr" only garbage is returned because "ö" is a multi-byte character and a "substr" of 1 is nothing meaningful.

return $row['lastname'] . ', '. mb_substr($row['firstname'],0,1) . '. (' . $row['email'] . ')';

This was my hardest bug ever. Happy to be done now.

• allanallan Posts: 62,898Questions: 1Answers: 10,348 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Yeah - that's a cracker. Good to hear that you managed to track down the issue and get it resolved. Thanks for the updates.

Allan

Thanks, Allan. My second last update was rubbish though ...

I didn't know that the $data - object does not return mjoined results on "postGet". Hence I had no issues json_encoding $data.

When I noticed the above I started looking at the mjoined tables: I subsequently deleted all new entries from the user table one by one - always checking whether it worked or not. Until I got to the "Umlaut"-record which was created yesterday afternoon.

Then I thought I just mustn't allow German Umlaute as first chars in "firstname" which turned out to be the wrong idea again... Eventually I found the multi-byte substring issue.

Now I am going to check all of my code to indentify similar cases. Don't want this to ever happen again :smile:

Long journey!