How to Export All Records from the Backend API in DataTables When Backend Pagination is Enabled?

How to Export All Records from the Backend API in DataTables When Backend Pagination is Enabled?

danujavdanujav Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0

I'm using jQuery DataTables in my project, and my backend API has pagination enabled, returning 50 records per request. DataTables also manages its own pagination. When I click the CSV export button, I want to export all the records from the database (not just the 50 currently loaded in DataTables) to the CSV file.

For example, in my case, I have a total of 52 records in the database, but only 50 are loaded at a time due to the backend pagination. I want the CSV export to include all 52 records.

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

• Load all records from the backend, ignoring the pagination, before exporting to CSV.
  • Ensure that the CSV file contains all 52 records, even though only 50 records are loaded in the current DataTable view.

How can I accomplish this? Are there any best practices or recommended approaches for handling this scenario with jQuery DataTables and a paginated backend API?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,290Questions: 1Answers: 10,428 Site admin

Hi,

This FAQ answers that specific question.

I should note that loading all records to the client-side negates any advantage that you got from enabling server-side processing in the first place. If you data set is large enough to need server-side processing, then in my mind, there is no question but to create the export file server-side and then download it to the client.

Allan