Getting JSON Parsing Error & SQL Syntax Error

Getting JSON Parsing Error & SQL Syntax Error

PriceGuideAppPriceGuideApp Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited January 2012 in General
First of all - great tool, and I've gotten it to work reading from an AJAX source - but I have over 20,000 data sets & adding more, so I need server side processing.

I'm not really sure why it doesn't work, below is my .php file code, I get a pop up box saying JSON can't parse. I see an error in the debugger that says: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'set, card_no, player_name, serial_no
FROM orders

ORDE' at line 1

URL: http://www.priceguideapp.com/test/main.html

[code] $aColumns = array( 'sport', 'set', 'card_no', 'player_name', 'serial_no', 'price' );

/* Indexed column (used for fast and accurate table cardinality) */
$sIndexColumn = "id";

/* DB table to use */
$sTable = "orders";

/* Database connection information */
$gaSql['user'] = "foo";
$gaSql['password'] = "bar";
$gaSql['db'] = "myDB";
$gaSql['server'] = "localhost";[/code]

Here is my HTML:
[code]

Price Guide App Beta 1.1

@import "/media/css/demo_page.css";
@import "/media/css/demo_table.css";

$(document).ready(function() {
$('#example').dataTable( {
"aoColumns": [
{ "sWidth": "10%" },
null,
{ "sWidth": "7%" },
{ "sWidth": "35%" },
{ "sWidth": "7%" },
{ "sWidth": "10%" }
],
"bProcessing": true,
"bServerSide": true,
"sAjaxSource": "/scripts/server_processing.php"
} );
} );
[/code]

Any ideas? I'm sure it's something pretty easy, but I can't seem to get the data to load. Doesn't look like it's even returning the data. Thanks, I'll be donating next payday.

Replies

• bandan88bandan88 Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    On the JSON parsing error have you tried changing line 4

$sIndexColumn = "id";

to

$sIndexColumn = "sport"; ?
  • PriceGuideAppPriceGuideApp Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thanks bandan88 - I'm thinking it's actually my data. I uploaded the sample data - and the table works. I tried validating my json, looks like it breaks when some has the name = O'Neil .... I guess it's possible the ' sign in the guys name is messing with the return? I'm going to pull those results out and re-try.

Either way, the AJAX source works for now, and I'll be testing the server side. If that's not the problem - or I find a work around, I'll try to update this.
  • bandan88bandan88 Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    PriceGuideApp,

Glad that the table works. To test your " ' " problem, I changed some of my data to include an ' in one of the cells in the mysql table and datatables rendered it with no problems.
  • PriceGuideAppPriceGuideApp Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I just wanted to follow up on this just in case someone else has a similar problem.

I ended up running some tests and found out that one of my columns was named 'set' and for some reason that caused the above error.

Changed it to 'set_name' and it works ... lol

Simple fix, so if you have this problem - try re-naming some of your columns and maybe that will do the trick.
This discussion has been closed.