Is DataTables.Api a row-selector?

Is DataTables.Api a row-selector?

sliekenssliekens Posts: 97Questions: 17Answers: 2
edited June 2017 in DataTables

I'm confused about one of the examples for edit. This code works, but I don't understand why.

//  Edit all selected rows in a DataTable:
editor.edit(
    table.rows( { selected: true } ).indexes()
);

The example calls rows().indexes() and passes its return value of type DataTables.Api to edit(). I'm confused because this API operates on a row-selector argument and the documentation for that does not list DataTables.Api as a valid argument. The documentation does mention that an array of integers is a valid argument, but DataTables.Api instances are only array-like objects instead of real arrays.

Should I assume that any DataTables.Api instance can be a valid row-selector as long as its items are themselves valid row-selector or is there something else going on?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,452Questions: 1Answers: 10,055 Site admin
    Answer ✓

In this particular case, yes that is a safe assumption. Basically what is happening is that the API instance return from your rows().indexes() call is being used as a row selector by Editor, passing into rows(). Because it looks like an array of indexes, that is how it is treated.

I'll update the documentation for that. Good point.

Allan

• sliekenssliekens Posts: 97Questions: 17Answers: 2
    edited June 2017

Oh so can't I just pass the return value of rows() as the first argument and eliminate the conversion from rows to indexes to rows?

editor.edit( table.rows( { selected: true } ) );

Or else, can I pass any instance of selector-modifier to edit() and let the edit() API find the rows?

editor.edit( { selected: true } );

editor.edit( table.rows( { selected: true } ) );

Yes, you can do that, although it isn't explicitly documented.

editor.edit( { selected: true } );

You can't do that though since it isn't an API instance. If it works, its unexpected!

Allan

You will be surprised by the results of my experiment.

See this example with three different ways of calling edit()
    http://live.datatables.net/zivilifa/4/edit?js,output

• Button 1 uses the return value of rows(selector-modifier).indexes()
    • Button 2 uses the return value of rows(selector-modifier)
    • Button 3 uses the just the selector-modifier

Select a single row and try all the buttons.
    Button 1 works, button 2 works, button 3 unexpectedly works.

Change the selection to multiple rows and retry all the buttons.
    Button 1 still works, button 2 stopped working, button 3 unexpectedly still works.

edited June 2017

Slightly related (sorry if this should be a different thread).

There's a number of APIs with a similar pattern where the documentation contradicts the actual behavior. I'm talking about (almost) every API that takes some kind of selector and an optional selector modifier.

Example

function row( rowSelector [, modifier ] )
    https://datatables.net/reference/api/row()

Here, the rowSelector part is documented as required but it is not actually needed because undefined is a valid instance of row-selector.

// valid code because undefined is used implicitly
    var row = table.row():

Per the documentation, if you want to only use a modifier, you'd have to explicitly pass in undefined for the selector.

var row = table.row(undefined, { selected: true }):

The surprising, undocumented behavior is that you can skip the selector.

// This works but documentation says it shouldn't
    var row = table.row({ selected: true }):

I think this is true for row(), column() and cell().

The point that I'm trying to make is that a selector-modifier seems to be a valid argument to any method that requires a selector of some sort as the first argument, such as edit(row-selector).

It is yes - this is explicitly documented for the plural selectors - e.g rows().

I didn't document it for the singular methods since I wasn't really expecting it to be used there and thought it might be confusing (e.g.table.row( { page: 'current' } ) doesn't make much sense, but it is valid - it will just truncate the result to 1 row).

That perhaps changed when I introduced the selector modifier extensions so things like selected: true could be used where it is valid to have only a single row selected and it makes sense to use row() there.

I'll update the documentation with a note about this. Thanks for pointing out that discrepancy.

Allan

It's starting to click in my mind now. Do the singular methods follow the same code path as the plural methods and then truncate the result set to a single item? Or do the singular methods have separate code paths and it's all just very similar code?

Do the singular methods follow the same code path as the plural methods and then truncate the result set to a single item?

Yup - same code path. This is where it runs the selector as normal and then truncates as required.

Allan

Okay thanks for the help. With this information, I can finally fix the TypeScript definition files over at DefinitelyTyped.
    https://github.com/StevenLiekens/DefinitelyTyped/commits/improve-datatables.net/types/datatables.net

Brilliant! I'll see if I can contribute as well.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.