Applying Datatables to a dynamically created table.

Applying Datatables to a dynamically created table.

jswaringenjswaringen Posts: 4Questions: 2Answers: 0

I'm creating a table in JavaScript that only occurs after a callback. So the table isn't in the DOM to begin with. How can I apply Datatables to get it to format the table properly.

My code that builds the table looks something like this:

$.getJSON(LMEmpAPI, { // Input fields (parameters) lname: $('#LName').val(), fname: $('#FName').val() }) .done(function(data) { var ADDiv = ''; if (data.length > 0) { // Build Table Header if (data.length > 49) { ADDiv += '<p class=\"alert\">Search returned more than 50 records. Please supply more specific search parameters.</p>'; } else { ADDiv = '<table id="lookup" class="table dataTable no-footer" role="grid" style="width: 100%"><thead><tr><th>&nbsp;</th><th>LM People Id</th>' + '<th>Last Name</th><th>First Name</th><th>Work Phone</th><th>Email Address</th><th>NT UserId</th></tr></thead><tbody>'; $.each(data, function(i) { ADDiv += '<tr><td><a href=\"#\" data-ntid=\"' + data[i].NT_ID + '\')">Select</a></td>'; ADDiv += '<td>' + data[i].LMPID + '</td><td> ' + data[i].lastName + '</td><td> ' + data[i].firstName + '</td><td>'; ADDiv += data[i].workPhone + '</td><td>'; ADDiv += data[i].emailAddress + '</td><td>'; ADDiv += data[i].NT_ID + '</td></tr>'; }); ADDiv += '</tbody></table><br/><br/>'; } } else { ADDiv = '<h3>No Records Found in Active Directory.</h3><br>'; } if (data.length > 50) { ADDiv += '<h4>Search returned more than 50 records. Please supply more specific search parameters.</h4><br>'; } $('#ADEmp').html(ADDiv.toString()); $('#ADEmp > '); });

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Answers

• crwdzrcrwdzr Posts: 31Questions: 5Answers: 6
    edited October 2017

at its simplest something like this would likely be enough:

// this object is on a per-table basis, it should be
    // unique and contain where the data is coming from
    // can replace with any other data sourcing method you use
    ajaxConfig = {
        url: myAjaxURL,
        type: 'POST'    
    }

// this is also on a per-table basis, it should directly
    // correlate to the columns in your <table>, ideally you should
    // generate it before-hand when you're deciding what table
    // columns to send to the DOM in the first place
    columnsConfig = [
        {
            data: 'column 1', 
            visible: true,
        },
        {
            data: 'column 2',
            visible: false,
        },
        // etc
        // can add in any column options you want
    ]

// after you have created the DOM elements, just initialize it
    let myTable = $('#myTable').DataTable({
        ajax: ajaxConfig,
        columns: columnsConfig,
        // along with any other init options you want
    })

you can go as complicated with it as you want but for just simply creating the columns and populating them, something like that should be enough run it

if you plan on dynamically deleting and adding tables without ever reloading the page it may get more complicated but the principle should remain similar

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,246Questions: 26Answers: 4,929

You could init Datatables after your code places the table in the DOM. Which in the simplest case you could just use the Zero Config example.

Another option is use Datatables to build the table using the returned JSON. This is an example:
    https://datatables.net/examples/data_sources/js_array.html

Kevin

This discussion has been closed.