What is the maximum number of columns and rows supported by DataTables?

What is the maximum number of columns and rows supported by DataTables?

chboccachbocca Posts: 86Questions: 13Answers: 1

Is there a limit? Currently, my tables have 300 plus columns. Just curious.

Ditto on rows.

I'm noticing too long export times when rows get over 300.

For export, I'm using ...

buttons: [ 
{ extend: 'csvHtml5', text: '<a title="Save table to .csv file.">Save</a>', filename: 'export_label', exportOptions: { columns: [ ':not(.label):visible' ] } }              
]

Even though the eventual .csv file is only maybe 500 KB.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583
    edited November 2019 Answer ✓

Hi @chbocca ,

There's no limit as such, but as you say, the export does become an issue as the row/column count increases. We haven't benchmarked top ends, as it really depends on the third-party libraries that we use for the exports.

That said, there was a bug in 1.10.18 which caused a slowdown on the exports. It would be worth trying the latest release, 1.10.20, to see if that helps.

Cheers,

Colin

• chboccachbocca Posts: 86Questions: 13Answers: 1

Thank you Colin! Good to know. Just updated from 1.10.18 to 1.10.20 ... works great now. Yay!

• rayokcrayokc Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Have tested many times. There is no problem in retrieving records from database but there is a limit in the number of column in jquery datatable. Please advise how to resolve. Thanks

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,144Questions: 26Answers: 4,736

@rayokc There is no limit built into Datatables. There may be performance or other issues that limit the number of columns that can be used.

but there is a limit in the number of column in jquery datatable.

Please provide more information about where you are seeing this limitation. Where is the limit you are seeing? If you are using server side processing and use GET then you may see issues with the Server Side Parameters being sent in the URL. In this case switch to POST.

Kevin

• rayokcrayokc Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks Kevin. It's working now.