Exporting (very) small numbers to Excel

Exporting (very) small numbers to Excel

jensptjenspt Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hi!

I have a datatable with very small numbers (e.g. 1.421532e-22) and when I use the Excel export button the numbers are not read by excel as numbers but as text. It is possible to use Excel's "Convert text to number" function once I have downloaded it but it decreases the user experience.

I want the Excel document to contain the same precision as my datatable which is why I cannot convert the number on my application to non-scientific before export.

I have tried to fix this in similar fashion as the forum posts that deal with very large number, however without any luck.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,053 Site admin

Can you give me an example please? Are your numbers already in exponential format or are they actual number types?

Allan

• jensptjenspt Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hi!

See this jsfiddle with working example. jsfiddle

My numbers are already in exponential format when creating the datatable.

Cheers

Thank you - yes, unfortunately at the moment our Buttons export does not support that format for numbers rendered into Excel.

I've created a task (DD-2338 on our internal tracker) for this and I'll update this post when it is done.

Allan

Hi,

I've been doing some other work in Buttons today, so I took a look at this and how XSLX uses exp numbers - it is actually a relatively simple change in Buttons, which will drop in the next release, which I'll tag up next week.

Allan

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

@jenspt - and here it is in action using the nightly releases.

Colin

• jensptjenspt Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0

Thanks for the reply both of you :)