How to programmatically get search results in an array

How to programmatically get search results in an array

kbessemerkbessemer Posts: 17Questions: 4Answers: 1

When using Data Tables, if a user types a phrase in the search box, is there a way to programmatically get the results of the search in an array?

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,141Questions: 26Answers: 4,736

Use rows().data() with the selector-modifier of { search: 'applied' } to get the filtered row data. Chain toArray() to turn the result into a JS array. For example:

var data = table.rows( {search: 'applied'} ).data().toArray();

Kevin

• kbessemerkbessemer Posts: 17Questions: 4Answers: 1

So this is working, somewhat. The behavior is off. The first time I run my function it returns an empty array, even though there is a search term and search results, but the second time I run the function it returns the proper array with the search results.

edited August 2022

Without seeing what you are doing its hard to say. Maybe you need to use that code in an event like search. It really depends on what your goal is. Please provide a link to your page or a test case showing use what you are doing so we can offer suggestions.
    https://datatables.net/manual/tech-notes/10#How-to-provide-a-test-case

Kevin

I am using ReactJS, not sure if this is causing a problem... I tried using a search event and it isn't updating the variable with the search term

table.on( 'search.dt', function () {
    searchPhrase = table.search();
    } );

Honestly not sure how I would post my code in codepen since the react is JS and HTML combined

I'm not familiar with ReactJS. Looks like I need to install something from codesandbox.io to run the test case. So I didn't try that yet.

Here is a running example:
    http://live.datatables.net/ciwakuwu/1/edit

Kevin

edited August 2022

I changed my code to:

$(document).ready( function () {

var table = $('#DeviceTable').DataTable();

table.on('search.dt', function () {
      searchPhrase = table.search();
    });

data = table.rows( {search: 'applied'} ).data().toArray();

} );

The search phrase is being passed to my other function properly... but after the function runs once the searchPhrase variable goes to undefined. And I have to type a phrase in the search box again.

And the search results are behaving the same in the array, the first time the function runs it is getting a big list of results, the 2nd time I run it, it's getting the correct results array

Ok, I managed to get something working for my situation...

I am not using the table.rows api for search results, that was not working for me.

But I am using a search event, and updating a redux store variable with the search phrase, then reading that store variable when I need to.

I am not using the table.rows api for search results, that was not working for me.

What is the problem? Did you try it in the search event like I suggested? Or are you using it somewhere else? Maybe your code snippet isn't accurate to how/where you are suing it.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 61,438Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin

Like Kevin I'm confused by that. The rows() method is the way to do exactly what you want.

Allan