Editor presubmit event

Editor presubmit event

david.j.meyer2@boeing.comdavid.j.meyer2@boeing.com Posts: 54Questions: 15Answers: 0

Link to test case:
Debugger code (debug.datatables.net):
Error messages shown:
Description of problem:

I want different logic in the presubmit event depending on the type of edit being performed. If the user does a bubble edit on a column i want to ignore all the logic in the presubmit event. If the user edits the entire record in the editor dialog I want the logic to execute in the presubmit event.

How do i determine which action the presubmit came from.

editor.on('preSubmit', function (e, o, action) {
            // if in edit mode and not a bubble event
            if (action == 'edit') {
                // Execute some code if not a bubble submit
                }

// If any error was reported, cancel the submission so it can be corrected
                if (this.inError()) {
                    return false;
                }
            }
        });

The parameters in the function do not seem to provide access to the initiating event type. (bubble, dialog)

thanks, Dave

Answers

• david.j.meyer2@boeing.comdavid.j.meyer2@boeing.com Posts: 54Questions: 15Answers: 0

I have resolved my issue. If there is a better way then I have implemented, please provide me some insight.

I accomplished the change by turning off the preSubmit prior to launching editor.bubble. I then use the closed event to determine if the type was a bubble, if it was i redefine the preSubmit event.

I have included the outline of the code below.

editor.on('closed', function (e, type) {
                // if its a bubble event i have to redefine the preSubmit action
                if (type == 'bubble') {
                    // redefine the preSubmit action on the editor
                        // If editing do some checking
                        if (action == 'edit') {

}

if (this.inError()) {
                                return false;
                            }
                        }
                    });
                }
            });

$('#Table').on('click', 'tbody td', function (e) {
                if ($(this).index() == 4 || $(this).index() == 13) {
                    // if its a column i can bubble edit, disable presubmit checks
                    editor.off('preSubmit');
                    editor.bubble(this);
                }
            });

• david.j.meyer2@boeing.comdavid.j.meyer2@boeing.com Posts: 54Questions: 15Answers: 0

Almost forgot you have to define the preSubmit event on page load too. So its present if the first event is an edit not a bubble.

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,053 Site admin

I'd use display() in your preSubmit event handler to find out what kind of edit is being performed.

Allan

To help anyone else looking for this type of implementation I came up with a different solution. I created a JavaScript boolean variable that i default to false. I then set the variable to true if the event fired is a bubble event. That way when the preSubmit validation happens i can use that to determine what validation is required for the edit type event. This allows me to have different messaging when bubble editing then full editor dialog edit. I have included the code below. I modified the code so i could post it but it should give you an idea.

var IsBubbleEditType = false;

editor.on('closed', function (e, type) {
            if (IsBubbleEditType) {
                IsBubbleEditType = false;
            }
        });

$('#prReportTable').on('click', 'tbody td', function (e) {
            bubbleIndex = "";
            if ($(this).index() == 2 ||$(this).index() == 4 || $(this).index() == 13) {
                //editor.off('preSubmit');
                IsBubbleEditType = true;
                bubbleIndex = $(this).index();
                editor.bubble(this);
            }
        });

// Prepare to submit
            if (action == 'edit') {
                var STATUS = this.field('STATUS');
                var ID = this.field('ID');
                var BVF_NUMBER = this.field('BVF_NUMBER');

// Only validate user input values - different values indicate that
                // the end user has not entered a value
                if (IsBubbleEditType) {
                    if (!STATUS.isMultiValue() && bubbleIndex == 4) {
                        if (STATUS.val() == "" && ID.val() == "") {
                            STATUS.error('A STATUS is "" then  ID must be given value!');
                        } else if ((STATUS.val() == "" || STATUS.val() == "IN WORK") && ID.val() == "") {
                        } else if ((STATUS.val() != "" && STATUS.val() != "IN WORK") && ID.val() == "") {
                            STATUS.error('ID must be cleared with status of "EXCLUDE", "NOT APPLICABLE" or "NOT WORKED"!');
                        }                         }
                } else {
                    if (!STATUS.isMultiValue()) {
                        if (STATUS.val() == "" && ID.val() == "") {
                            ID.error('A BVF_NUMBER must be given with status of ""!');
                        } else if ((STATUS.val() == "" || STATUS.val() == "IN WORK") && ID.val() == "") {
                            ID.error('A ID must be given with status of "" or "IN WORK"!');
                        } else if ((STATUS.val() != "" && STATUS.val() != "IN WORK") && ID.val() != "") {
                            ID.error('ID must be cleared with status of "EXCLUDE", "NOT APPLICABLE" or "NOT WORKED"!');
                            STATUS.error('A STATUS is "EXCLUDE", "NOT APPLICABLE" or "NOT WORKED" then  ID must be cleared!');
                        }                 
                    }
                }
                if (this.inError()) {
                    return false;
                }
            }
        });

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,053 Site admin

Nice! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Allan