Link to test case:
Debugger code (debug.datatables.net):
Error messages shown:
Description of problem:

Answers

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,808Questions: 85Answers: 406

Link to test case: ??

• GreybeardTheUnreadyGreybeardTheUnready Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks @rf1234 - You forced me to do a bit more digging and if you simply try the example provided on the datatables site here

https://datatables.net/extensions/buttons/examples/print/simple.html

You will see "about:blank" in the bottom left of each page if you are using Google Chrome Version 106.0.5249.119,
    but not on Opera Version:91.0.4516.65
    or Edge Version 106.0.1370.42

and on Firefox Version 105.0.3 "about:blank" appears top right.

So I guess that the actual print service of the browser it inserting it :-(

I'd still like how to control it...

• GreybeardTheUnreadyGreybeardTheUnready Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

...so the 'about:blank' in Chrome and Firefox footer/header is normally set to the URL of the page being printed (and can't be explicitly set), so I assume that the window that datatables opens doesn't have a URL of its own,

Only solution seems to switch off chrome's print footer.

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

So I guess that the actual print service of the browser it inserting it :-(

Correct. That is the header / footer of the browser's printing action. There is no javascript way of controlling that. It is a "feature" of the browser.

Allan

• paintingsilencepaintingsilence Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

Id like to point out that about:blank can indeed be removed in a regular print dialog via JS as usually printing of content happens via a new document created with open()

= window.open(' ', ' ', 'width=' + '1024px' + ', height=' + '800px');

whereas the first parameters specifies the URL. If no space in between then browser will see URL as "about:blank" and prints in bottom left corner (chrome). IF first param is a blank space then Chrome does not print "about:blank" but sees the URL as a blank space. Following this logic in datatables the print mechanism should be adjustable as to open in a new window as described above.

Will dig a little deeper but not sure this can be achieved via customize().. probably needs some adjustments at code level of datatables.

• paintingsilencepaintingsilence Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

alright I've had a look and if you change the following code at the datatables print module then about:blank should be removed as per explanation above. please let me know if it works as I have only quickly tested it with latest Chrome:

in

/*!
    * Print button for Buttons and DataTables.
    * 2016 SpryMedia Ltd - datatables.net/license
    */

find

var win = window.open( '', '' );
    if (! win) {
    dt.buttons.info(
    dt.i18n( 'buttons.printErrorTitle', 'Unable to open print view' ),
    dt.i18n( 'buttons.printErrorMsg', 'Please allow popups in your browser for this site to be able to view the print view.' ),
    );

return;
    }

win.document.close();

and change to

const win = window.open(' ', ' ', 'width=' + '1024px' + ', height=' + '800px');
    win.document.open();
    if (! win) {
    dt.buttons.info(
    dt.i18n( 'buttons.printErrorTitle', 'Unable to open print view' ),
    dt.i18n( 'buttons.printErrorMsg', 'Please allow popups in your browser for this site to be able to view the print view.' ),
    );

return;
    }
    setTimeout(function() {
    win.focus();
    win.print();
    win.document.close();
    win.close();
    }, 1000);

hope this helps!

edit: using quote instead of code as code citation would break on me in preview.

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

Nice one - thanks for posting back. Does it work without the width and height parameters? I.e. just provide a single space string as the target name?

Allan