Onscreen Keyboard doesn't activate with keytable edit?

Onscreen Keyboard doesn't activate with keytable edit?

weedenbweedenb Posts: 25Questions: 6Answers: 0

Can't seem to get touchscreen keyboards to activate with an editor keytable, tried with Android/Chrome, IOS/Safari and MS SurfacePro3/Firefox , no joy with any. Other editor forms (main and popup) work fine. Is there a trick to this I'm missing? Googled around for awhile thinking there should be a easy answer but didn't come up with one.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,642Questions: 1Answers: 10,093 Site admin

I'm not sure these is a way to do this to be honest. On the Surface you should be able to call up the virtual keyboard at any time, but on the other platforms the keyboard will only appear if there is an active text field - which the table itself is not. The focus isn't a "true" focus, but rather a bit of Javascript that reacts based on what key presses are detected.

This is a really interesting one. I'll look into it, but at the moment I'm afraid I don't know of a way to call up the virtual keyboard for non-field elements.

Allan

• weedenbweedenb Posts: 25Questions: 6Answers: 0

Thanks for the response Allan, I didn't really realize how murky this topic is until I started digging into it. My next try will be the "Hackers Keyboard" app for the Android as it seems to have a bit of presence out in the field. Another direction might be the HTML5 input type tag??? This appears to be another area where different OS's, browsers and hardware are not all on the same page.

• allanallan Posts: 61,642Questions: 1Answers: 10,093 Site admin
    Answer ✓

KeyTable does actually insert a hidden input element into the page to allow "tabbing into the table" (i.e. you can include the table as part of the tabIndex flow for a form), so it might be possible to utilise that, but it is quite possible that the mobile browsers will realise that the element is hidden and thus not show the keyboard...

Allan

• weedenbweedenb Posts: 25Questions: 6Answers: 0

Tried out the Hackers Keyboard app on the android tablet and its actually pretty useful all around. Works pretty good with KeyTable (nice that you can toggle between keyboard layouts also) the one downside is that after a cell KeyTable edit entry it auto closes so you have to open it up again. Cursor key nav works good and it scrolls the table around to keep the active cell visible.

It would be really slick to get the Samsung S-pen equipped tablets I'm working with fully integrated into my DT editors. The S-pen's have some really awesome handwriting recognition capability.

This discussion has been closed.