In Filter textbox, is there a way to specify to search a specific column of data?

In Filter textbox, is there a way to specify to search a specific column of data?

crunchfactorycrunchfactory Posts: 29Questions: 8Answers: 2

Hi, the title pretty much says it all, in the Filter textbox, in serverSide, is there a way to specify to only search a specific column of data? I saw how to add a search box to each column, that would be more than a little unwieldy, Thanks!

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• RpiechuraRpiechura Posts: 98Questions: 3Answers: 14
    Answer ✓

Mind you I'm most familiar with the legacy code so you may have to do some translating if you're using the 1.10 style of code.

When you're using server side processing (at the server) you get the object oSettings and one of the fields it has in it is sSearch_(int), this is telling the server that you want to filter on that specific column. So if you wanted to only ever search based on that column as it sounds like you want than when you interpret the data on the server you could treat that column as though it was the global sSearch.

• crunchfactorycrunchfactory Posts: 29Questions: 8Answers: 2
    edited May 2014

Hi, thanks for the response; so, in other words, no. That's ok, it was more for end-user creature comforts than a need to segregate data.

• allanallan Posts: 61,759Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

You could use the column().search() API to search on the column using your own input box. Or use columns.searchable to indicate that the other columns should not be searchable.

Allan

• crunchfactorycrunchfactory Posts: 29Questions: 8Answers: 2

Hi Allan, thank you (again!) for the response; I was aware of those options, but feel it would be more than a little obtrusive in a 50+ column table! Simplicity seems the best route in this case (as in most); let the filter be a filter; once I'm past the "v1" functionality, I can start to think about replacing it with a full blown search mechanism, I was just exploring what functionality was included in the default filter.

This discussion has been closed.