Update datatables (1.10.x) with new Json data

Update datatables (1.10.x) with new Json data

dtnofxdtnofx Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited August 2014 in Free community support

Is there a way to update DataTables with new JSON data that my web site retreives from an Ajax service?

To be more specific, I have a SPA website where I use AngularJS. I build my table like so:

<code>
<table>
  <tbody>
    <tr ng-repeat="user in users">
      <td> {{ user.id }} </td>
      <td> {{ user.name }} </td>
    </tr>
  </body>
</table>
</code>

So basically DataTables is initialized with a "static" HTML table. When I update $scope.users in AngularJS, then the HTML table is updated, but DataTables still has a reference to the "old" values. So if I try to use the sort or filter functions in the table then it presents the old data again.

I tried to see if there's an API for updating datatables with just JSON data or a Javascript object. But all I could find where the ajax.json and ajax.url API's that sort of does what I need. But these make URL calls. But I already have AngularJS that does the web service calls for me.

So all I need is a way to re-bind the JSON data directly to DataTables. Is this possible somehow?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 63,262Questions: 1Answers: 10,424 Site admin

Sure - use rows.add() and clear().

Allan

• dtnofxdtnofx Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Is there also a way to make it read the HTML again instead of using an API like row.add()or rows.add()?

I'm actually already updating the DOM by updating the $scope.users variable. So if I could let DataTables re-read the HTML again then that would be so much better.

Is that possible?

• allanallan Posts: 63,262Questions: 1Answers: 10,424 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Is there also a way to make it read the HTML again

Two options:

1. Destroy the existing table, then update the HTML and finally initialise the new table.
    2. Feed the tr elements directly into row.add().

Allan

• dtnofxdtnofx Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi allan, thanks for the feedback. Feeding the tr elements to row.data() sounds look a good option to me.

This discussion has been closed.