Row Data

Row Data

lesljrlesljr Posts: 4Questions: 2Answers: 0
edited March 2019 in Free community support

I'm not having any issues. This is more of a question on the inner workings of how row data works. Here is a source example.

HTML

<table id="gvDATA" class="table table-striped table-bordered table-hover">
                <thead>
                    <tr>
                        <th></th>
                        <th>Due Date</th>
                        <th>Purchase Order</th>
                        <th>Part</th>
                    </tr>
                </thead>
            </table>

INITIALIZATION

$('#gvDATA').DataTable({
            lengthMenu: [[10, 50, 100, -1], [10, 50, 100, "All"]],
            data: _PurchData.d.responseData,
            columns: [
                { data: "ChangeColumn", orderable: false },
                { data: "DUE_DATE"},
                { data: "PURCHASE_ORDER", "width": "7%" },
                { data: "PART" },
                { data: "RRN", "visible": false, className: "noVis"}
            ],
            dom: 'Blfrtip',
            buttons: [
                {
                    extend: 'copyHtml5',
                    exportOptions: {
                        columns: ':visible'
                    }
                },
                {
                    extend: 'colvis',
                    columns: ':not(.noVis)'
                }

]

});

GETTTING ROW DATA

var _mytable = $("#gvDATA").DataTable();
    var _rowdata = _mytable.row(_rowindex).data();

// Set the Ajax Parameters
    var _RRN = _rowdata.RRN;

Here is my question. I did not define a column for RRN in the html, but I did define RRN in the initialization. I don't see RRN when I view the HTML, but I can see RRN when I get the row data. This is exactly what I'm wanting to do. My question is where is the row data stored if I can't see it in the html ?

Edited by Allan - Syntax highlighting. Details on how to highlight code using markdown can be found in this guide.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,691Questions: 26Answers: 4,840
    Answer ✓

I'm surprised you aren't getting an error. Take a look in your browsers console. Datatables expects the number of columns in the thead to match the number defined in columns.data. You have 4 defined in your thead and 5 in columns.data. For the RRN column you can use columns.visible to hide that column.

Datatables has a data cache which it stores all the table data that is in the client. Datatables takes over the HTML display of the table and only the rows shown on the page are actually in the HTML. When you search, sort or go to the next page Datatables uses the data cache to determine which rows to display and updates the HTML as appropriate. When you use something like row().data() Datatables will pull the data from its data cache.

HTH,
    Kevin

• lesljrlesljr Posts: 4Questions: 2Answers: 0

I checked chrome, firefox, and edge. I'm not getting any errors in the console. Interesting.

I went ahead and added the columns in thead to match. It works either way. Thanks.

• allanallan Posts: 62,333Questions: 1Answers: 10,228 Site admin

DataTables is creating the HTML for the extra column in the original code above, and then hiding it, which is why you can't see it.

As Kevin says that isn't needed here. DataTables stores a "reference" to the original row data object, so you can use any data point you want from it for the display in the table. You don't need to reference the data in a column to have it retained in the data object, since it is the original data object.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.