Disable chrome's 'Page Unresponsive' message loading datatable through ajax

Disable chrome's 'Page Unresponsive' message loading datatable through ajax

jim88888jim88888 Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hello all,

I am using ajax to load a large dataset into datatables 1.10.18. This is the call:

var table = $('#report').DataTable({
'sDom': 'Rlfrtip',
'orderCellsTop': true,
'fixedHeader': true,
'data': json.data,
"initComplete":function( settings, json){
$('#report_wrapper').addClass("PMCreportbox");
}
});

Everything works just fine, but when loading a very large table chrome keep's popping up with it's stupid 'page unresponsive' message. I know it is unresponsive--the user chose a large dataset and it is loading.

I don't need to change any processing...the user is OK with waiting until datatables is done loading. I would just like to get rid of the stupid messagebox.

Has anyone found a way to satisfy chrome so that it will stop printing this annoying message?

Answers

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,348Questions: 36Answers: 394

Google has many answers to this. For example:
    https://zilliontips.com/fix-page-unresponsive-error-google-chrome/

• jim88888jim88888 Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

These are all things the user can do to speed up chrome. I don't need to speed up chrome, or datatables. I just need the message box to stop bothering the user while the computer churns away.

• colincolin Posts: 15,143Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

It might be worth considering server side processing to reduce how much data is transferred to the client. For server side processing, enable serverSide. The protocol is discussed here.

Cheers,

Colin

• jim88888jim88888 Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

I am using server side processing...and it works great! most of the time we are retrieving small chunks and they display fine.

Sometimes the user wants a single chunk in the table all at once. Everything runs perfectly, except for the message box.

• colincolin Posts: 15,143Questions: 1Answers: 2,586
    edited August 2019

This thread here suggests using deferRender - that would help if the issue is with the creation of the rows, as opposed to the ajax transfer.

This discussion has been closed.