Setting responsive=True makes redrawing the Table but after the "initComplete" event is triggered.

Setting responsive=True makes redrawing the Table but after the "initComplete" event is triggered.

fco_1990fco_1990 Posts: 9Questions: 3Answers: 0
edited March 2020 in Free community support

Hi. First of all thanks to the community. This forum is plenty of good examples and answers to devs problems.

I'm using Datatables in my project and I do have a table setup like this:

jQuery(document).ready(function () {
    var dt = $("#m_table").DataTable({
        info: true,
        paging: true,
        responsive: true,
        searching: true,
        select: !0,
        dom: "<'row'<'col-sm-12 text-left'f>>\n\t\t\t<'row'<'col-sm-12'tr>>\n\t\t\t<'row'<'col-sm-12 col-md-5'li><'col-sm-12 col-md-7 dataTables_pager'p>>",
        oLanguage: {
            "sSearch": "Quick Search:"
        },
        deferRender: true,
        data: history_list,
        columns: [
            {
                "className":      'details-control',
                "orderable":      false,
                "data":           null,
                "defaultContent": ''
            },
            {"data": "created_at"},
            {
                "data": "data_1",
                "defaultContent": "---"
            },
            {
                "data": "data_2",
                "defaultContent": "---"
            },
            {
                "data_3": null
            },
        ],
        order: [[1, 'asc']],
        columnDefs: [
            {
                targets: -1,
                className: 'dt-body-center',
                render: function (data, type, row, meta) {
                    console.log('drawing column');
                    return 'some html';
                }
            },
        ],
        "drawCallback": function( settings ) {
            console.log( 'DataTables has redrawn the table' );
        },
         "initComplete": function(settings, json) {
            console.log( 'DataTables has finished its initialization.' );
          }

});
});

If responsive = True. Then the console outputs this:

BUT if responsive = False, then the console outputs this:

I need the initComplete to be the executed after all the renders since it activate some stuff but I need it with responsive=True.

Is that possible?

It seems to be a bug. initComplete supposed to be the last callback after table initialization.

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,142Questions: 26Answers: 4,736

I updated your example a bit to show the type that the render function is executing for.
    http://live.datatables.net/vivicoki/1/edit

Datatables has initialized, doing things like setting column widths, etc, and initComplete runs then Responsive runs to hide columns if needed. This process causes the render to run for the display type.

I need the initComplete to be the executed after all the renders since it activate some stuff

What exactly do you need to do? Maybe we can help.

Kevin

• fco_1990fco_1990 Posts: 9Questions: 3Answers: 0

kthorngren I don't know how to comment your comment or tag you.

As you indicated, these are the steps:
    1. Datatables has initialized, doing things like setting column widths, etc,
    2. initComplete runs
    3. Responsive runs to hide columns if needed. This process causes the render to run for the display type.

I need to reorder that and make the initComplete to be the last thing done. No renders aftet initComplete.

**Why? **Because on initComplete I do run highlights.js library for syntax highlighting.

What happens now is that I do run hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad(); on initComplete and it enrich my cells but then the Responsive redraw everything and all the syntax highlighting is gone.

edited March 2020

What happens now is that I do run hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad(); on initComplete and it enrich my cells but then the Responsive redraw everything and all the syntax highlighting is gone.

Thats helpful to know. As a test - what happens if you disable responsive, the highlight works then you go to the next page. Is the page highlighted as desired?

If not then you may want to try your highlighting in either draw or drawCallback instead of initComplete.

Kevin

edited March 2020

I haven't seen the highlight.js library before. Looks like it could be handy for a couple of my projects. Here is a basic example using hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad(); in initComplete:
    http://live.datatables.net/mahosugu/1/edit

The highlighting works on page 1 but on page 2 it doesn't highlight. The reason is that only page 1 is in the DOM at the time ``hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad()` runs.

My suggestions is to use the draw event and run hljs.highlightBlock() over the cells you want highlighted. This will cover paging, searching and sorting. Here is an example that uses cells().every() on the current page using {page: 'current'} and in only the columns marked with the class syntax-highlight.
    http://live.datatables.net/yamulujo/1/edit

Kevin

EDIT: Check at the bottom. I found the problem but I still don't manage how to avoid it.

ORIGINAL ANSWER:
    Humm... Kevin. I forgot to mention something critical. I'm using ChildRows and the idea is to display that in the ChildRow.
    I tried doing an example for you with my configuration but I don't see why Childrows isn't working on this example:
    http://live.datatables.net/yamulujo/3/edit

Since it isn't working I'll publish some extra photos so you can see what happens.

This is the table:

This happens when I click extra details:

Json isn't highlighted.

BUT
    If I don't send that column to the Child Row. It works properly.

NEW ANSWER

I know what's the problem. Each time I Click the (+) button for expanding/collapsing the Child Row, the column is rendered again. So the highlight is lost.

I need somehow to trigger hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad(); each time that happens.

None of them is working:
    - DrawCallback
    - Draw
    - initComplete

I did set all of them and put a console.log to see when are they being triggered but once the page is loaded they stop doing it. I click the expand/collapse button and nothing.

Could you upload an example of a table where:
    1 - It has ChildRows
    2 - One of the Hide Columnes shown on the ChildRow has a custom render method defined
    3 - The table trigger an event each time you expand/collaps a ChildRow

Please? It's driving me crazy.

I need somehow to trigger hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad(); each time that happens.

Did you see my last working example and explanation? You need to use hljs.highlightBlock() instead of just the blanket hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad():

Are you using Child Rows like this example or Responsive? Your last example does not appear to have either.

Are you needing the highlight to work with the rows hidden in the child rows? This will require additional code depending on which you are wanting to use.

Kevin

Kevin. Sorry for this late reply.

Asking your questions:

Did you see my last working example and explanation? You need to use hljs.highlightBlock() instead of just the blanket hljs.initHighlightingOnLoad():

Yes I did.

Are you using Child Rows like this example or Responsive? Your last example does not appear to have either.

Yes. I'm using both. In the example I send you (live.datatables.net/yamulujo/3/edit) both are enabled:

On html I use class="none" to send those columns to the child row. And in the JS I set responsive=true too. That example is working fine on my project. I don't know why isn't working on the live.datatables.

Are you needing the highlight to work with the rows hidden in the child rows? This will require additional code depending on which you are wanting to use.

Yes. I need the highlight working in the child row (hidden columns). Not in the shown columns.

The problem is that each time I hit the Child Row's button then the method render is triggered.

Since that method rewrites the dom and it's the last one executed...then I cannot execute hljs.highlightBlock() method for styling the code.

I think the best way to solve this is if we could make a really simple working example on live.datatables.net which uses child rows and responsive. Then try to add a hidden column which highlights and see if it works. I tried doing that for you but it doesn't seem to work on live.datatable.net. Could you help me with that?

Answer ✓

Your responsive code isn't working because you didn't include the responsive library. I don't see any code in your example that looks like you are using the Child Row Details like this example. This example is independent of Responsive.

I updated my example to use Responsive. It uses the responsive.details.renderer to copy the syntax-highlight class from the Highlight column into the child row. It displays the child in a table format but you can display it in any format you wish. Then it uses the responsive-display to run hljs.highlightBlock() against any element with the syntax-highlight class in the child.

Example:
    http://live.datatables.net/ruxakoga/1/edit

Kevin

Kevin,

Thank you. Your last example helped me to solve it.

I really appreciate your time and patient with me.
    Thank you!

• thun_anthun_an Posts: 8Questions: 1Answers: 0

@kthorngren you can help me?
    In my responsive i return a button, but i don´t know how i get this action from this button.

JS

@thun_an Is this the same question you have in this thread? Please don't duplicate questions. Please create a new thread with a running test case showing what you have so we can help debug.
    https://datatables.net/manual/tech-notes/10#How-to-provide-a-test-case

Kevin

@kthorngren sorry...

http://live.datatables.net/rubezevo/1/edit

I´m just get the action from button in Responsive.

@kthorngren Can I share my js file? To you show me where I put this delegate?
    Because when pass from renderer, i don´t know where put this action,

Answer ✓

Place it after your datatables initialization code just like in the example.

Kevin

@kthorngren works... Very thanks