Multi-column Ordering - Apply different css classes to primary, secondary, tertiary column headers?

Multi-column Ordering - Apply different css classes to primary, secondary, tertiary column headers?

Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

I have multi-column ordering applied on my table.

I would like to apply a different css class to the <thead><th> tag of the primary, secondary, tertiary etc. ordering columns so that I can style them differently, to give them descreasing visual "strength". At the moment we have <th class="sorting_desc">. With this feature it would for example be <th class="sorting_desc multi1">, <th class="sorting_desc multi2"> etc..

Is there a way to do this? If not, I would like to make it a feature request.

Answers

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,350Questions: 37Answers: 394

DT uses orderClasses for this.
    https://datatables.net/reference/option/orderClasses

You could over-ride those colour settings to your own taste.

• Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

@tangerine Thank you. I didn't know about that. However that adds classes to the <tbody><td> cells, whereas I want to apply different styles to the <thead><th> cells.

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,300Questions: 26Answers: 4,769

If you want to set these dynamically when the user or API changes the table order you can use the order event. In the event handler use order() to get the current order and use jQuery addClass() and removeClass() to manipulate the classes accordingly.

Kevin

• Nick HopeNick Hope Posts: 48Questions: 12Answers: 1

Thank you @kthorngren . I need to step back and learn more about Javascript and jQuery (for many reasons beyond this), then I will return to this solution.

This discussion has been closed.