Drop down list in SearchBuilder

Drop down list in SearchBuilder

straetchstraetch Posts: 5Questions: 3Answers: 0

I have a long table.
When I want to search in a column on a numeric field that contains a unique value, a very long drop down list pops up that contains the values for all rows if I choose "Equals to" as a condition. It should simply be an empty edit box where the user should fill in the value.
With condition "Between" two edit boxes are shown, which is what I need.
Is there an option to control this behaviour?

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

This thread should help, it's asking the same thing. The example in Allan's first reply is similar to what you're after.

Cheers,

Colin

• straetchstraetch Posts: 5Questions: 3Answers: 0

I wonder whether this complexity is needed: the explanation and the examples pertain to Custom conditions. I do not need to add/change the condition itself, but only the way to present the value in a simple edit box rather than a drop down list.
    The behaviour to present the values for "Equals to" should be the same as for the "Between" condition.

• allanallan Posts: 61,431Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin

You are right - we have intrinsically linked the presentation of the input value with the way the matching is done. That was done because they typically are dependent on the other. There isn't a non-trivial way to separate them at the moment.

I've been wondering if the datalist element might be a really good option here, but unfortunately it doesn't really do label / value separation (for cases where the search term is different from what is shown in the list - orthogonal data).

There has to be a better way, but I'm not yet sure what it is.

Allan

• abdulrehmanwaheedabdulrehmanwaheed Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0

hi, i'm using custom search builder, but i have dropdown selected values in one of my datatables columns. and this custom search builder is showing all options of that dropdowns as a single text . so that is not working for search also on this column . can someone suggest me what should i do

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

@abdulrehmanwaheed That sounds like a different issue. Please can you post in a new thread, but as per the forum rules, please link to a test case - a test case that replicates the issue will ensure you'll get a quick and accurate response. Information on how to create a test case (if you aren't able to link to the page you are working on) is available here.

Colin