Export hidden columns, but exclude their rendered data on other columns

Export hidden columns, but exclude their rendered data on other columns

raenkraenk Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

I have some tables that, for design purposes, some columns are hidden and their data is rendered (concatenated) in other columns and using <br> to separate the data in new lines.

However, while exporting these tables I ran into the known problem regarding line breaks in excel and you can imagine how it looks as a single string.

Right now I'm replacing <br> with " | " as a separator, but I think the best workaround would be exporting the tables as originally intended, meaning exporting hidden columns and instead hide the "extra" data rendered.

Exporting the hidden columns is not a problem, but I can't think of a way to hide the rendered data.

I will appreciate your advice.

Here's an snipped of the relevant code as an example:

var bConf = [
        {
            extend: "copy",
            text: 'Copiar',
            className: "btn-xs btn-pink",
            exportOptions: {
                columns: ['th:not(.no-export):visible'],
                format: {
                    body: function ( data, column, row ) {
                        if (typeof data === 'string' || data instanceof String) {
                            data = data.replace( /<br\s*\/?>/ig, " | " ).replace( /<[^>]*>/g, '' ).replace( /^\s+|\s+$/g, '' ).replace( /\n/g, ' ' );
                        }
                        return data;
                    }
                }
            }                
        },
        {
            extend: "excel",
            text: 'Excel',
                            data = data.replace( /<br\s*\/?>/ig, " | " ).replace( /<[^>]*>/g, '' ).replace( /^\s+|\s+$/g, '' ).replace( /\n/g, ' ' );
                        }
                        return data;
                    }
                }
            },
            customize: function( xlsx ) {
                $(xlsx.xl["styles.xml"]).find('numFmt[numFmtId="164"]').attr('formatCode', '[$$-80A]#,##0.00;[RED]-[$$-80A]#,##0.00');
            }                
        },            
        {
            extend: "print",
            text: 'Imprimir',
                        }
                        return data;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    ];
        "order": [0, "asc"],
        "processing": true,
        "serverSide": true,
        responsive: false,
        stateSave: true,
        "ajax": {
            url : dataUrl,
            type : 'GET'
        },
        "columnDefs": [
            { "render": function ( data, type, row ) { return data + row[1] + row[2] + row[3]; }, "targets": 0 },
            { "render": function ( data, type, row ) { return data + row[5] + row[6]; }, "targets": 4 },
            { "visible": false,  "targets": [ 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 ] },
            { className: "text-center", "targets": [ 7, 8 ] }
        ],
        buttons: bConf

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,332Questions: 26Answers: 4,774

Right now I'm replacing <br> with " | " as a separator, but I think the best workaround would be exporting the tables as originally intended, meaning exporting hidden columns and instead hide the "extra" data rendered.

Thats probably a good choice. I needed something similar so worked out the solution in this thread. You are probably better off not doing this :smile:

Take a look at this column selector export example. Maybe you can add the classname no-export to the rendered columns and update the selectors to use an array to include the hidden columns.

Kevin

• raenkraenk Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited June 2023

Hi Kevin.

Thanks for your input. Still trying to figure this out.

In a simple example, I have columns A | B | C | D

For design, I hide B and C and render their data in A (along with A data).

I want to export all columns, but if I do that, I get B and C by themselves, but their data will show again in column A.

A work around that I'm thinking, although maybe not optimal, is to add an extra column as buffer:

A | A2 | B | C | D

Now, in A2 repeat A data (alone) and hide it in screen. Then, when exporting, leave A behind and export only A2, B, C and D.

I'm sure this will work, but I think is overkill. Still hoping for some JS magic from datatables to solve this easier.

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,332Questions: 26Answers: 4,774
    Answer ✓

There is some Datatables magic that should work for you. Use orthogonal data like this example to return the data for A for the export operation.

Kevin

• raenkraenk Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

That's it Kevin! Many thanks!