Creating extra space for y scrollbar, but the scrollbar is not visible

Creating extra space for y scrollbar, but the scrollbar is not visible

smelchersmelcher Posts: 45Questions: 13Answers: 0

I am struggling to create a fiddle to reproduce this exactly but hopefully my explanation of the problem and screenshot will help. In most of scenarios everything works fine. There are a few cases where is does not. The image below shows an extra space to the right of the last column. This space is being added because DT thinks there is a vertical scrollbar. I've narrowed it down to where DT compares the table.height to the divBodyEl.clientHeight. The table.height attribute is decimal and divBodyEl.clientHeight is an integer. In some cases table.height returns something like 54.4 and divBodyEl.clientHeight returns 54. When that happens, it incorrectly thinks the vertical scrollbar is visible. My temporary work-around is to take the "floor" of table.height. Is this something that can be fixed or am I doing something incorrectly.

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,193Questions: 26Answers: 4,925

It looks like your columns are not lined up. This is typically due to not using the correct style integration files for the styling framework in use. This could also be why the extra space is being created. Use the Download builder to get the appropriate files for the framework you are using. If this doesn't help please provide a link to your page or test case replicating the issue so we can take a look.
    https://datatables.net/manual/tech-notes/10#How-to-provide-a-test-case

Kevin

• smelchersmelcher Posts: 45Questions: 13Answers: 0

Yes, the columns are not lined up because it thinks there is a vertical scrollbar due to the "int" vs "decimal" comparison.
    I will see if I can reproduce in a fiddle

Here is a fiddle:
    https://jsfiddle.net/smelcher53/geouak59/1/

When opening up the fiddle, you need to maximize the output pane and then click "Run" to reproduce the issue

The problem really comes down to the fact that table.height() returns a decimal (eg 54.4) and divBodyEl.clientHeight returns an integer (54).
    If I FLOOR the decimal value OR convert it into an integer it seems to work consistently.

Wow, fun test case. I'm not the expert @allan is and maybe he will understand what you have. I'm not sure what all scrolling type options you have enabled but it looks like you might have FixedColumns and FixedHeader enabled. Also not sure what Datatables CSS you have included but did find this:

* To rebuild or modify this file with the latest versions of the included
     * software please visit:
     *   https://datatables.net/download/#dt/dt-1.13.6/cr-1.7.0/fc-4.3.0/fh-3.4.0/sc-2.2.0/sl-1.7.0
     * Included libraries:
     *   DataTables 1.13.6, ColReorder 1.7.0, FixedColumns 4.3.0, FixedHeader 3.4.0, Scroller 2.2.0, Select 1.7.0

I used the link and built this generic test case with FixedColumns and FixedHeader and it seems to behave correctly:
    https://jsfiddle.net/tbswv8g2/show

To me it seems there is some conflict with your CSS and the Datatables CSS.

My suggestion is to provide more details about your test case to save @allan time.

Kevin

Thank you for spending the time to look at it. Do you recall what you changed?

And do you have an opinion on the math I showed in my post, where it compares a decimal with an integer? Am I completely of base there? My "fix" does seem to work for me.

And do you have an opinion on the math I showed in my post,

I have no idea. Allan might but I don't know where/how you are using it or what affect it has. However if it works for you then use it. The code is open source.

Do you recall what you changed?

I removed your concatenated CSS, it may have been minimized too, because I'm not sure what it contains. I removed your concatenated, minimized script tag code then used the URL, as described above, to generate the CSS and JS libraries you are using. I placed that in the updated test case.

Since your code is minimized I'm not able to decipher the Datatables init options you have so I took a guess and included FixedColumns and FixedHeader. I didn't change anything else. Possibly you can update my test case to show the issue. Might make it easier for Allan to debug if there is less code.

This is why I say you have a CSS conflict. Allan may be able to figure it out but its not my expertise :smile:

Kevin

@allan. Please see the attached change (It is mod-marked) in function _fnScrollDraw.

// Figure out if there are scrollbar present - if so then we need a the header and footer to
            // provide a bit more space to allow "overflow" scrolling (i.e. past the scrollbar)
            /* BD Change
            var bScrolling = table.height() > divBodyEl.clientHeight || divBody.css('overflow-y') == "scroll";
               ED Change */
            /* BA Change */
            var aTHeightD=table.height();
            var aTHeightI = parseInt(aTHeightD.toString());
            var bScrolling = aTHeightI > divBodyEl.clientHeight || divBody.css('overflow-y') == "scroll";
            /* EA Change */