Is it possible to have a cell input as a search box and fill the other row fields with data?

Is it possible to have a cell input as a search box and fill the other row fields with data?

DaMaster313DaMaster313 Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0

This is not a problem is more of a question in regards of if this exists already or not as to not reinvent the wheel:

I would like to have an empty table with one empty row, where one of the cells of the row is a searchbox where you can search for something and on selection fill the other cells on the row with information.

So my main question is, is there already a functionality to create a searchbox on a cell of a row? I can of course do the filling of the cells on my own but I was wondering if there is already a feature to create an input type cell with a searchbox functionality. As an example:

Order# - ProductCode - Description
1 - (this would be the searchbox cell) - this would be populated on searchbox selection
2 - (this would be another searchbox cell) - this would be populated on the same row searchbox selection

So I would need to be able to create a new searchbox cell every time a new row is added and that searchbox would modify it's same row cells with the required information.

Just wanted to ask if this is already possible.

Thanks,
Samuel Lopez.

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 21,083Questions: 26Answers: 4,908

This is something you could do but is not built into Datatables. Not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do but, based on my understanding, I would look at the following:

• Create a row with the search inputs you want.
    • Use the Absolute Sorting plugin [documented here] to keep that row at the top of the table
    • Create event handlers for the search inputs to fetch the searched data
    • Use row.add() or rows.add() to add the fetched data to the table.

Kevin