Editor and expandable childrows

Editor and expandable childrows

letsdevthisthingletsdevthisthing Posts: 6Questions: 2Answers: 0

is it possible to combine the code for editor and child rows. I am experimenting with the samples included in the demo, how would I combine the code from http://www.datatables.net/release-datatables/examples/api/row_details.html and the simple inline editor code.

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,744Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

It should be possible to use the two together directly - it should be virtually copy and paste for those two.

It gets a little more complicated if you want to be able to inline edit the information shown in the child row though. Do you need to do that? You need to tell Editor which field, for which row, should be edited. I think that will make a nice blog post - I'll look at writing that up soon.

In the mean time, have you seen the Responsive example - it might do what you need if you only need simple child rows?

Allan

• letsdevthisthingletsdevthisthing Posts: 6Questions: 2Answers: 0

I am displaying tasks on my table. I want to group the task by a task category. I want to display the progress on the task which the user will update with a button, and also display a notes stored in the database related to the task. I also want the notes section to have an option to add a note.

I'm just not sure how to get all those feature going together in one table.

I'm afraid I'm not quite clear on what you are looking for from Editor. Do you want sub-tables which are editable in the child row? If so, I would suggest building the sub-table aspect first and then adding editing abilities afterwards.

Allan

Something similar to this: http://jsfiddle.net/headwinds/zz3ch/
    in the details area I want to place buttons that will mark a time stamp on the database, so I don't need to make the details area editable - however I do want the ability to add a new record.

Thanks for the link. It looks like you have the inner table already which is great. Now you could just use Buttons to create the button you need (I assume it isn't in the rows in the inner table, but rather, just outside of that table?).

This page details how you can create custom buttons to perform any action you need (be it triggering an Editor API method or making your own Ajax call).

Allan

Has Datatables been tested with SignalR using websockets? I have read some old posts in the forums about real time updating with multiple users, any ideas or advise on how to real time features to datatables?

Has Datatables been tested with SignalR using websockets

No - but the server-side data source has very little impact on DataTables. I don't provide an interface specifically for SignalR and likely never will - that's what the API is for, so any server-side data source can be used with DataTables. For example you would use row().data() to update a row, row.add() to add one, etc. Thus the data source doesn't matter whether it is from a web-socket, a Flash socket, Ajax or NASA's deep space network...!

Allan

This discussion has been closed.