Any alternatives to DataTables?

Any alternatives to DataTables?

DanielAlexanderDanielAlexander Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

I'm working on a new project that needed a spreadsheet type feel of data. In looking for ways to having a "viewport" of the data and keeping heading at top, and all scrolling nicely together, I came acrossIt is great with all that is built in.

Before I dive in too deep, I was wondering if there are any better alternatives, something more modern available with HTML5, or issues people using it have found. I mainly do backend, and doing front end, I dislike, so not wanting to get too far in if it isnt the best option.

Thanks much!

Answers

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406
  • David@QuantumDavid@Quantum Posts: 36Questions: 4Answers: 2

Weird place to ask this question... 'specially since anyone answering questions in the forum is either a datatables.net enthusiast (like myself), or a veterans (like rf1234).

My take is:
    I was introduced to datatables in my previous workplace for a web development project (I'm a fullstack programmer in several languages with a focus on backend, so like yourself don't have time for front end).

The code base here is super flexible and has libraries for multiple web dev packages, you can choose which parts to use when - e.g. making an ajax req to a datatables php script instead of creating your own db access then inserting into your own table, or grabbing your own data and then putting it into the datatables front end.

The functionality is so extensive that it can be a little overwhelming, but that's where my favourite element of datatables.net comes in... the documentation is absolutely incredible and the support you can get in the forums here is second to none.

Long story short, I love datatables so much that as soon as I knew I was going to be working a web project here, I requested a license for the editor libraries. I've been using it for 2 years now and it's a tool I wouldn't be without.

Hope this helps you settle on datatables!
    Regards,
    Dan@Quantum

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,342Questions: 35Answers: 394

@DanielAlexander - assuming you can assemble a web page, the simplest example would be the place to start.
    https://datatables.net/examples/basic_init/zero_configuration.html
    It provides all the necessary code on one page (see under the Javascript, HTML, and CSS tabs).
    If you get comfortable with that, you might want to look at the KeyTable extension, which offers Excel-like navigation.
    https://datatables.net/extensions/keytable/

• DanielAlexanderDanielAlexander Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited January 2020

[Message removed due to spam links]

• colincolin Posts: 15,118Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

Just to say this user account, along with another, are posting spam from the same address - so they've been banned.

Colin

This discussion has been closed.