Update table on data change from variable

Update table on data change from variable

mrnnsmrnns Posts: 7Questions: 1Answers: 0

I'm trying to update a table whenever the data variable source changes (array of objects). The solution I found was to clear all the rows and add all rows again, but my table is big enough to slow the page, so I don't think that redrawing the table is the solution.

What would be a good approach? Thanks

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,309Questions: 26Answers: 4,771

Maybe a date range search filter will work. See this example. You can replace the plugin used in the example with this date range plugin.

Kevin

• mrnnsmrnns Posts: 7Questions: 1Answers: 0

I think you didn't understand me or I didnt explain myself.

If I have a row like this:

Sensor 1 Temperature: 20C

And temperature changes, I want to update that cell, but without refreshing the whole table. Its a simple example of my problem.

Answer ✓

Sorry I misread the question - I need my glasses. I thought your post had the word date :smile:

And temperature changes,

If the data contains an id or some sort of unique data then you can find the row to be updated. See the row-selector option for options.

I want to update that cell

Once you have a way to find the row you can use that selector with cell().data() to update the specific cell.

Kevin

edited June 2022

Haha. Don't worry. I was doing that, but I needed a copy of the array of objects, for example, for a row, a copy of that object. If I use the original data as source in the datatable, and I want to comparte the current data in the table with the new data, the data from the table is updated (but not represented)

• allanallan Posts: 61,734Questions: 1Answers: 10,110 Site admin

Just to confirm - are you happy you have a solution now (I'm not clear on that from your last message)? To get the object that DataTables has for a row, use row().data().

Allan

edited June 2022

If my data source is not a copy, every time I get the row data, it its updated (but the table is not reflecting the updated information). For example. I have a data object like this {sensor:1, temperature: 20}, after a few seconds that object is {sensor: 1, temperature: 25}. If that object is the data source of the table, if I use row().data(), I'll get the newest, but the table still showing the first one (temp: 20). So, what I do is copies so I can check if there was an update to pass to that row the new data

Please post the code you are using do the updates.

Kevin

Here is a simple example of what I explained earlier:
    http://live.datatables.net/penolori/1/edit

Kevin

What I'm doing its something like this: live.datatables.net/penolori/2/edit

I update the data source variable, but the table isn't updated, so if I make a function that checks the data agains the table data, it will always be the same. Only if I make a copy of that data I can check if it has been updated and then set data and draw.

You actually need to update the Datatable. Datatables keeps a data cache of all the data. Updating the source object doesn't update the Datatables data cache. You can either use the technique I showed to update specific cells. Or you can use clear() to clear the table and re-add the rows using rows.add(). Like this:
    http://live.datatables.net/hubuquze/1/edit

Kevin

Answer ✓

Yup - you need to tell DataTables that the data has changed - you can do that with the rows().invalidate() method: http://live.datatables.net/honinuyo/3/edit .

If you know which row was edited (i.e. an id) then you can use row().invalidate() which will be faster for large data sets: http://live.datatables.net/honinuyo/2/edit

This is required because DataTables doesn't "observe" the source objects - it doesn't know that the data has changed.

Allan

Learn something new every day. Didn't realize rows().invalidate() would work this way :smile:

Kevin

Thanks! I think it's a good solution, I want to try if I can do rows().invalidate() to the whole table without lacking performance.

It is actually one of my favourite methods that one - a bit underused, but every time I have a use for it, I like it :)

Allan

edited June 2022

I tried to update the data like this in my Angular project and it doesn't update the table :(
    Only when I change all data.

Can you post a link to your page or a test case replicating the issue so we can help debug?
    https://datatables.net/manual/tech-notes/10#How-to-provide-a-test-case

Kevin