Save aoData to the server side

Save aoData to the server side

GolnazGolnaz Posts: 23Questions: 5Answers: 0
edited June 2020 in Free community support

Hi, thank you for such a great product. With regards to my question, I would like to extract aoData from datatables and save them on my server side to a json file. I do not need to load it back to the table directly. Followings is my code:

var table = $('#example').DataTable({
          ajax:  './d1/data.txt',
          paging: false,
          stateSave: true,
          stateSaveCallback: function (settings,data) {
            const state = JSON.stringify(settings.aoData);
            console.log(state);
            $.ajax( {
            "url": "./d1/index.html",
            "data":  state,
            "type": "POST",
            "dataType":"json",
            "success": function () {}
            });
            },            
        });

I do not if I am doing it right or wrong. I can see the aoData in the log but I do not know how to send it to my server. Many thanks.

Edited by Colin - Syntax highlighting. Details on how to highlight code using markdown can be found in this guide.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,143Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

That looks good, what problem are you having?

I would suggest not using DataTables.Settings, as this is considered private and may change. It be better to use rows().data(), with toArray() to convert to an array,

Colin

• GolnazGolnaz Posts: 23Questions: 5Answers: 0

Thanks Colin,

I try it. My problem is how to save on the server :-) I extract them but I can't create json file on the server.

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,302Questions: 26Answers: 4,769

I extract them but I can't create json file on the server.

That would be something to code in your server script. Its not functionality that Datatables provides. Maybe you can find an answer on Stack Overflow specific to the servr language/framework you are using.

Kevin

edited June 2020

Thanks Kevin,

Perhaps it will be helpful if I clarify why I need to store the data. I used the code below

http://live.datatables.net/fumakahu/1/edit

to split my data into tables and be able to drag and drop rows from one table to another one. I need to save changes to the top table each time when the user make any changes. So when I open the link on different computers or refresh my page, I can see the latest change on that table.

I use "stateSaveCallback" without any problem but I cannot load table. Currently I commented stateLoadCallback, but when I remove the comment I cannot load the table.

I use "stateSaveCallback" without any problem but I cannot load table. Currently I commented stateLoadCallback, but when I remove the comment I cannot load the table.

But why can't you load the table? Is it because you can't create the JSON file on the server when you save, as you mentioned before? Then if so, as Kevin said, that's a server based issue, and SO would be a good place to ask.

If the JSON has been created on the server, and is being sent correctly to the client when the page is loaded, then yep, that's a DataTables problem, but we would need to know why it's not loading, and ideally with a test case to demonstrate the problem,

Colin

Thanks Colin,

I am still struggling with writing the json file. I thought this might be a way around it. Because without saving any file I can save other properties of the table like sorting and access them from a different device.

To be honest I have gone through the stack overflow for over the past week, entire week, and I couldn't achieve anything :-(

If I can save the json file, I have no other problems, tables themselves are quite straightforward.

Thank you very much Kevin, I will try it.

edited June 2020

Hi @kthorngren and @colin,
    Many thanks for your comments so far. I made a good progress. Here are modifications to my code:

//encode current state to base64
                var state = settings.aoData;
                console.log(state);
                $.ajax( {
                "url":  './data.php',
                "data":  {'aoData': state},
                "success": function () {
                  alert("Posted");
                }
                });
                }

Also I set my php file as

<?php
    $json_data = $_POST['aoData'];
    if (json_decode($json_data) != null)
    {
      $fp = fopen('/test.json', 'w+');
      fwrite($fp, json_encode($json_data, JSON_PRETTY_PRINT));
      fclose($fp);
    }
    else
    {
      echo "invalid data";
    }
    ?>

When I refresh my browser, the posting is working

But when I check my php file in the browser, I get "invalid data" . Based on my setting it looks like that my $json_data is not valid.

Any advice?

Hi Kevin and Colin, do you have any suggestion about on how to pass the data to php? It looks like that the data is not valid.

edited June 2020

You would pass your data with ajax.data. Why does it not look valid?

Colin

Thanks @colin, I have no idea, everything looks right it just does not pass the value to php. Is my ajax code correct?

edited June 2020

Use the browser's network inspector tool to see what is being sent in the Ajax request. This technote will show you how if needed. Look at the Headers tab to see what is sent. Do you see the aoData parameter?

In line 4 you have console.log(state);. It is probably not a JSON string. You can use console.log(typeof state); to see what the data is. If its not a string then you may need to use JSON.stringify() to convert it to a JSON string. Then the json_decode($json_data) might work properly.

Maybe output the $json_data;. after the $json_data = $_POST['aoData']; statement. What do you see? Is it a JSON string?

Can you post a link to your page or a test case showing the issue? This way we can see exactly how your code is working.
    https://datatables.net/manual/tech-notes/10#How-to-provide-a-test-case

Kevin

Many thanks @kthorngren , I will try it.

Hi Kevin, Please see below:

Use the browser's network inspector tool to see what is being sent in the Ajax request. This technote will show you how if needed. Look at the Headers tab to see what is sent. Do you see the aoData parameter

No, I do not see aoData in the browser's network. I only see my .php file appearing.

In line 4 you have console.log(state);. It is probably not a JSON string. You can use console.log(typeof state); to see what the data is.

The data was an object.

If its not a string then you may need to use JSON.stringify() to convert it to a JSON string. Then the json_decode($json_data) might work properly.

I changed it to JSON.stringify(settings.aoData), it changed to string. But still nothing appears in the browsers network.

Please see the link to my example below
    http://live.datatables.net/fumakahu/3/edit

I did not know how to include my .php file in that example. Please see the .php file below

```
    <?php
    if (json_decode($json_data) != null)
    {
    fwrite($fp, json_encode($json_data, JSON_PRETTY_PRINT));
    fclose($fp);
    }
    else
    {
    echo "invalid data";
    }

<?php > ``` ?>

No, I do not see aoData in the browser's network. I only see my .php file appearing.

You are looking at the response not the request. Look at the Headers tab and you will see something like this:

The request in your test case results in an error but you can see that its a POST request and the aoData value is in the Form Data. Its being sent to the server. Verify you see the same in your environment.

I'm not familiar with PHP but I suggest outputting the value of $json_data after the $json_data = $_POST['aoData']; statement in your PHP script.

What does $json_data contain?

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

Here is the response from php, it does not look like a valid json, am I right?

Here is the response from php, it does not look like a valid json, am I right?

Looks like it has been converted into a JSON string multiple times in your PHP script. The key is the \ to escape the quotes (").

Kevin

It is true, here is the updated version:

But my problem still exists. When in .php I use echo json_encode($json_data); I get this screenshot. But, still json_encode($json_data); is NULL. Based on what I am seeing the problem is the format of the data.

I am not much familiar with .php, I just need to write this json file on my server :-)

What do you get with just echo $json_data;?

Is it a string already?

But, still json_encode($json_data); is NULL.

Do you mean `json_decode()?

The place I would start id determining what $json_data is without trying to use json_decode() or json_encode().

Kevin

Thank you so much, it is getting there. So far, removing json_encode($json_data) or json_decode($json_data) gives me valid json

but, still null data is being passed, here is my updated php code

<?php
    echo $json_data;
    if ($json_data != null)
    {
      fwrite($fp, $json_data);
      fclose($fp);
    }
    else
    {
      echo "invalid data";
    }
    ?>

So, when you look at the Headers tab of the Ajax request you aren't seeing the aoData in the Form Data?

Kevin

Here is what I see:

Answer ✓

Here is what I see:

That looks good.

The statement echo $json_data; show null?

Kevin

echo $json_data shows

but still null data is being passed for saving. My guess I need to get rid [] at the beginning and end of aoData.

A big thank you @kthorngren, I managed to save my data. Here are my corrected code, in case anyone else need to use them:

//encode current state to base64
                const state = JSON.stringify(settings.aoData);
                console.log(settings.aoData);
                $.ajax( {
                "url":  './data.php',
                "data":  {'aoData': state},
                "dataType":'json',
                "success": function () {
                  alert("Posted");
                }